Monday, October 02, 2006

Study break from GMAT studies...

I really, REALLY, REALLY don't recommend studying for GMAT and applying for B-school at the same time! How I got myself into this predicament?? Earlier in the year, January 2006, I was on track studying for the GMAT. After spending all of December 2005 studying on my own, I realized I need professional help. Through the recommendations of friends, colleagues, I went w/ Kaplan and paid their $$$ fees. Half way through, my father's cancer had worsen. He would be admitted into the hospital for 2-3 weeks, be released and 2 weeks later, would be re-admitted again. He's 87 years old and does not know English. My family would do 24 hour bed side attendance. I usually pull 4 -6 hours a day during the weekdays, and half days on weekends. This was my schedule.

Although I did read up and research thoroughly the European B-schools and attend the MBA fairs, I could not muster the discipline to study the GMAT while bed-side to my dad in the hospital. With my father's deteriorating health, I didn't think he would survive through the calendar year. After one month of getting the run around, I was able to freeze my Kaplan account. Two months later, my father passed. Having accepted my father's dying wish of me "stay close by and watch over mother," I moved back home. This was my fifth time moving in three years.

My summer months were spent getting reacquainted w/ the "joys and blessings" of living back home w/ mother, two nieces, and my inherited/god son. I kissed my single life and bachelor adventures good bye..."buh-bye." I did finish up a second professional certificate and celebrated w/ an one week drinking festival, which I won't recommending again. Well unless I'm on vacation.

Now I'm here...writing/editing essays, gathering recommenders, getting official transcripts, working a full work week, and putting in 2-4 hours of GMAT studying each day. Except Thursday and Friday. -Tvu does need some break. After all this work to get myself into an European B-School, I think...know the MBA program will be easier. A nice vacation from myself and for me to spread my wings again. With the frequent flight back home.

7 comments:

asiangal said...

Now that I'm retaking the GMAT in November I'm juggling putting my apps together alongside intensive study. Are you targetting R1 or R2?

-tvu said...

R2, just like you! hehe...

Hobbes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hobbes said...

Hats off to your never-say-die spirit, man! Keep it up & going and soon you shall clear all the MBA related hurdles too :)

-tvu said...

Hobbies - Hope and determination is what I am. Hopefully the B-schools can see that also.

Iday said...

It's tough i agree.
Jus like u said - ur hope and determination will see you through :)

And as for the Bschools being able to see them, i guess u have all the essential requirements to stich a wonderful story around your experiences.
I guess you are doing just that!

-tvu said...

Thanks iday.