Thursday, August 10, 2006

This rose goes to B-school X...

This article from Business Week poses an important issue to consider for us MBA applicants. How well will you fit into your B-school? Unless you do have extra cash and do want to spent the extra $100 to $200 in applicant fees (I rather spend my hard earned money on my various "vices") , us cash limited applicant bloggers are/will short list the number of schools we are/will apply for. Everyone has their reasons to not apply for B-school X and must apply for B-school Y, but have they considered (aside the schools' emphasis/reputation /ranking) will they fit the B-school and/or will the B-school fit them? The school adcoms will certainly consider, "What/how can this applicant add to/enrich our program?" Us applicants must consider, aside from the post MBA salary increase, "What will I get out of this program? How will this school help me in my life long goals/ambition?" What is the perfect match?

The meat of the article looks to the applicants' personality as the answer. How well do you know yourselves?
...your character traits traits have a lot to do with how successful you will be at school, work, and even in your personal life...Knowing how to team up with people who are strong in areas where you are weak is the key to achievement, he adds. That's why getting to know yourself is such a big part of the MBA experience

Good thing I am more comfortable in my own skin now.











It took me almost four decades (yea I'm older then my appearance. It's an Asian thing), years of traveling (exotic experiences and soulfilled discoveries), one trip to home country (Vietnam) w/ dying father (tracing the footsteps of my family), a few broken hearts (mine and others), twelve plus years working, inherited a son,



care of my mother, life experiences,etc, etc. It's still a on going process, but I'm definitely comfortable with myself in this decade. -tvu in the 70's, 80's, and 90's was still trying to figure things out. -tvu in 00's is a mature/comfortable/self aware, etc person. Now I gotta improve my beach volleyball skill and lose the fifteen pounds. hehe...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

curious why you are not applying to american schools as well?

-tvu said...

Anna, The American B-schools does not have the international and diverse student body like the schools in Europe. The costs are relatively the same and only 1 yr - 18 months to complete. My MBA should reflect a bit of my persona, my international experiences and I want to continue to globalize myself. Graduating from an interntaional B-school will open greater opertunities for me to live and work in Europe for awhile. The world is getting smaller and everyone is going to do business with each other more. I want to be part of that. Having said all that, wouldn't getting a MBA from London be so much cooler then UCLA or UCI (where I work). Lastly, wouldn't it be cool to say, "Yeah. I went to europe, got a MBA, and worked and lived there for awhile." hehe...