Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Potential post MBA commute?


Found this article on BBC News. Do you think your commute to work is far? Well, consider working in city A (London) and living in city B (Barcelona, i.e. "fill in inexpensive cost of living city"). WOW...Talk about the jetsetting lifestyle. hehe... The article points out that due to high cost of living in major business cities (i.e. London), the emergence of mobile computers, broadband, cheaper airfares and importance of quality of life, some people are living in internationally affordable cities and commuting to work via airplanes. There are several comments to the article by readers that actually are doing it. How cool is that?
"If you book in advance you can get one-way flights from London to Barcelona for £15.99 plus charges. The standard day single by train from Basingstoke to London Waterloo is £15.40."
My master plan is; post MBA work in Europe for a couple of years (consulting) and afterwards head back to Cali, most likely San Francisco. I have traveled to many international cities [Amsterdam, Barcelona, Budapest, Hanoi, Krakow, Madrid, Munich, Mexico City (DF) Prague, Paris, Saigon, Tokyo, Yokohama, Vancouver, etc], and SF (in my humble opinion) ranks up there amoung the many great international cities. It has culture, ethnic diversity, nice people, conductive for active life styles (i.e. surf, snowboarding). I've had another master plan once but that didn't work out and I'm better for it. But I digress.

In addition to being able to work in Europe, how fabulous would it be to say in a conversation, "Oh me? I work in London but I live in (insert affordable city)." Very cool. hehe...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Friend of a friend on the LBS EMBA program commutes in from San Diego every other week ;-)

If you need a hand with the LBS application, drop me a line, glad to see the class of 2009 is blogging!

atypical HBS said...

nice blog man

-tvu said...

Suzy, aka DivineMissN,

WOW. Now that's a commute! I guess since that friends' friend is already an Executive, the cost of the commute is covered by his/her business. I'd hate to see the loan he/she had to take out if they are covering the cost by themselves. hehe...

Sincerest thank you! I will drop you line when (not if, but definitely when), then time comes for additiional questions. For now, I'm hammering out the essays and searching for the application items, I stored away when I delayed my application.


Guymba,

Thank you. Remember, fifty years ago the car industry was starting to mature so that allowed for longer commutes. Imagine what the commute would be like in another fifty years? hehe..

KV said...

I have a 45 minute commute to work and I hate it...lol

-tvu said...

KV,
45 minutes??? That's murder! hehe..

Vaniah said...

You could always become a consultant post-MBA and get the company to pay for your comute to wherever they are sending you that week...

KV said...

Actually your post got me thinking about living outside London next semester....

-tvu said...

Vaniah,
Consulting is what I'm aiming for as postMBA.

kv,
Good to know that my posting actually touched someone. Guillaume (LBS 06') did the commute between LBS and Paris his first term of second year, but you already knew that. Hit him up for some info.