Wednesday, January 17, 2007

HEC, LBS, and MBS

The academics from all three programs are comparable and top ranked. There are differences from each, regardless you will get a high quality business education from these schools. All three MBA programs have collaborate and very internationally diverse students. In my opinion, the difference lay in the student body/culture of the B-Schools and the nearby city. Like all things in life, each B-Schools have benefits and drawbacks.

In alphabetical order:

HEC - Paris: 16 months program
Not counting the train changes, receiving misdirections, missing connecting trains and getting lost (it happened to me), HEC is about one hour train ride outside of Paris. The MBA building is very nice with modern classrooms and facilities. The lobby has recently been remodeled. New MBA students live in dorms, a few minutes walk from the MBA building. Each students have a single room and en suite bathroom and internet. Yes, you don't have to share a bathroom down the hallway. There is a piano lobby in the dorm, for which the MBA students gather to mix and relax. The experienced students opts to live in Paris and commute to campus. HEC is a true campus, with large grounds for sports, gyms, and it's even got a small lake a few minutes walk towards the soccer/football field. I got my undergraduate from UCSB (yes right on the beach and yes I did surf in between classes) and I work at UCI, so I'm used to universities with large campus. Because of this fact, HEC feels like an actual university to me. English is spoke throughout the MBA building, but French is spoken everywhere else on campus. French language course is provided for MBA students that are French challenged.

LBS - London: 15 - 21 months program
The building and facilities are very modern. The most modern of these three schools. I didn't get a detailed tour of the grounds so I can't comment much. I can comment that Sundowners/student relaxing area is only a few steps away. Standing in the lobby, I heard a multitude of different languages spoken by the passing students. I get the impression, they retain their individualism while still very much accepted of their internationality by the LBS program and students. With about 300+ student intake, LBS has the largest student body of these three schools. The LBS gym is a few minutes walk out the building and down the street. LBS just finished adding an additional floor to the building (if you can't build out, then build up) for faculty, staff, etc room. LBS benefits from being in central London (big business network and recruiting), but that also has disadvantages (high cost of living) also.

MBS - Manchester: 18 month program
The MBA school is updating it's facilities, but still modern and excellent. The cafeteria, computer lab, cafeteria, library, lobby, pigeon hole (mailbox) etc all located in the multi-story building. Makes it very convenient for their students. Manchester and London are both the first MBA programs in England. I love the concept of Manchester Method (especially the international consulting project), practical application of your MBA education. Additionally, MBS is in the process of increasing their student intake from 80-100 to #(?). Manchester city (2nd largest city in UK) itself is growing, modernizing and building from it's industrial past. Many businesses are relocating (i.e. BBC) into the city (cheaper rent?), so expect for the B-school and your career to benefit from this trend.

Regardless of where I end up, I will have to bring with me a few items; fish sauce, soy sauce, and spicy salsa. Born and raised my early years in Vietnam, I have to note there is still a lot of French influence in the Vietnamese culture, thus a small bit in me. Yet living in America most of my life (aside from my annual semi-solo international trips), ethically I am Vietnamese while culturally I am Vietnamese American w/ a splash of Mexican (close proximity to Mexican border). I suppose that makes me Vietnamese, Mexican American?

Doh~...I just realized I didn't take pictures of the LBS and HEC facilities. Marde~






LBS front door











BBC recently (?) relocated to Manchester









Manchester Business School Library









MBS big lecture hall








MBS Lobby









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wondering - why no INSEAD in the list?

-tvu said...

Because I want to explore different industries while at B-school, I'm focused on programs longer then one year. That rules out INSEAD, Oxford, Cambridge, IMD, etc. I might reconsider one year programs, if I need to be back for family responsibilities. Never say never. hehe...

Clear Admit said...

Hello TVU,

These are great first hand accounts of HEC, LBS and MBS! They are particularly informative of campus features and the international quality of the student body. Would you be willing to post your LBS report to the Clear Admit Wiki for the benefit of other applicants? You can do so by clicking here, or simply e-mailing the text to wiki@clearadmit.com (we’ll be sure to link back to your blog when we post your information).

We’d also love to hear about the factors that influenced your decisions about where to apply.

Thanks and best of luck in the MBA admissions process!

-Lauren

-tvu said...

Lauren, Sure. I'll post my LBS visit.