Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Visiting the B-schools...Good ROI

It's done. No turning back. I've bought the tickets and my credit card is hurting. I will fly to London on Dec 2 and fly back to SoCal on Dec 18 from Paris. All so I can visit the B-schools I am applying for. I can't imagine making a milestone decision without visiting the schools in person. You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive. So a face to face visit with the perspective institutions, I will hopefully spend the next two years, is in order. It is my first time in the England and my second time in France. This trip will definitely hurt my wallet, but the expense is worth the insight I will gain. Good ROI.

Coming for SoCal, I expect to freeze my ass off. I expect to be a lot poorer. I also expect to see the schools' brochures and the words of the MBA bloggers come to life. I also expect to see how the school will fit with me. Hey B-school, it's not just you making the acceptance. You have to get my acceptance too. Do try impress me.

I have some clue where I will stay the first few days and the last few days of my B-school excursion, but I don't like to preset my entire trip until I am in that region of the world. It is a tried and proven method for me. For now, there are only four dates I must be, the day I'm flying there, the two days of info sessions of my top choice schools, and the day of my flight back. Everything in between those days, is up in the air.

Since this trip is B-school first, expanding my comfort zone second, I've made a few contacts w/ some students. Thanks again with putting up w/ my questions. If any of you guys know Texas Hold'em, I'll wager a nice, fat dinner. Care to accept? Remember, I'll get the first round of beer/wine/poison.

Speaking of poison, I have to get back to the GMAT studies.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Speaking of poison, I have to get back to the GMAT studies."

LMAO!!! Good luck! And have a gr8 journey next month, I am sure u will love it! :)

Wince said...

Have a wicked time in Europe dude!

And show that GMAT who's boss!

-tvu said...

Thanks amigos!

kpmg said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Wish I were able to make some trips myself!

All the best with the GMAT prep. I'm just hoping to get a borderline 700.... lets see what this weekend's practice brings about.

-tvu said...

Thanks Wannabe - I tried scheduling the test on friday, but their system went down, so I'll have to wait for monday to schedule. My 1st choice date was not available to I'm trying for the following Monday (11/27).

Catalonic said...

What? No stop in Barcelona?
Come on tvu, I guarantee you that five minutes will put your search in a whole new perspective (plus, were #1 in the Economist!).....

-tvu said...

Cata - hehe... Sorry baby. Scheduling conflicts wouldn't allow for stop over. No worries. I've been to the city (though not the school)and thanks to Nollie, Georgie, (small bit on Marc-ie) and your blogging...know that I will throw my card into the IESE lotto also. Maybe in R3 if time and family matter permits.