Friday, September 08, 2006

Stuck between the heart and a hardplace...(nonMBA)

My inherited son is at a development stage, where he is flexing his persona, i.e. strenght drawn from muscles and force through power. I am trying to teach him that true strenght is fueled by the heart and determination comes from the mind. I try to be strong, not for myself, but for my mother. With my father's passing, my strenght no longer belonged to me. It belongs to my mother and I don't know how much I have left for myself. So I work hard to strenghten myself, so I can provide for my son and mother.

I am increasing the GMAT studies and placing thoughts to paper for the other B-schools essays. So I sacrifice time from my workout schedule, which has proven great results. A stong body, equates to strong heart, leading to stonger mind, allowing for stronger character.

My family, they don't know. They function normally. Noises here, screaming there, TV on, radio on louder, bored son pacing about the house, mother w/ questions, concerns, and worries. Always her worries. I don't know. There times when my strenght is drained and I still have to put in a few hours for studies and readings. This is when I draw upon my determination, my will, my mind to focus on the studies, when my body, my heart is weak. Some days are better and some days are worse. Worse days, I regret the promise to my father on his death bed, "Stay close by and watch over mother." I've given up my peace, my quiet, my social life, my bachelor life for the responsibilities of son and mother. Better days, my heart and soul swells w/ the love my son and mother entails.

Life is an amazing adventure and life lessons learned are...well, they are worth more.

6 comments:

Katrina said...

Hey, I've been there too. During my most intense study of GMAT, my parents are planning their move to Sydney, and I had to help out with all kinds of matters in their company here. Sometimes I had to lock myself in the study so that I can focus on my study. But now they have left, I just feel so empty being alone in this house...Now I can only hear them bothering me for 20min on the phone everyday... What I'd like to say is, yes, we need to take a lot of responsibilities for our family, but meanwhile, they bring us the happiness and meaning of living in the world.

Marcusrodri said...

Good moments are not that good if we don´t go throuhg the bad ones as well. Keep it up TVU. Regards

-tvu said...

Katrina and Marc, Thanks! I think a good surf session will help de-stress me. If not, then some extra sleep will help.

Juggler said...

These phases make you appreciate life and happiness better. Hang on there...

-tvu said...

Juggler - Thanks! Yes, life is wonderous and we have to experience both good and bad to appreciate it all. I'm due for a good surf session or a good few hours working up a good sweat.

Anonymous said...

No matter how much 'Ma' nags, lectures, questions, etc..we will always love and miss them when they go to heaven! :)

~Traveltime...