Monday, January 29, 2007

I'm a ....

...GMAT savant. I had dinner on Friday with my friend and we talked about vacation. He was low on vacation but wasn't sure how much he will have this coming fall for another vacation. This is where the GMAT studies kicked in. He used 5 days of vacation last year (assume he started w/ zero vacation at beginning of year 06') and the unused vacation accumulate to this year. My friend earns 7 hours of vacation per month. How many total weeks of vacation will he have by October? He's now ready to plan his vacation in October...thanks to me, the idiot GMAT savant.




...Chocoholic. I was playing Texas Hold'em w/ friends on Sunday evening . Their girlfriends/wives were out, so when the boss's away, the boys can play. After one round of Texas Hold'em and half bottle of merlot (only me drinking the wine) I grabbed the left over box of chocolate. I died and went to chocolate bliss. One word; Godiva dark chocolate ganache. hehe... Amazingly the pairing of Merlot and Godiva chocolate was surprisingly good. I owe my friend's girlfriend one box of Godiva.

5 comments:

kpmg said...

whoa. sounds like you've got a good plan going there on the GMAT.

7 hours a month only? You would only get 84 hours a week or 3 1/2 days of holidays? such a confusing question.
for for 06 - 3 1/2 days (but he used 5 days?) and for 07 (until October) he would have 70 days, so just under 3 days or 2 days, 22 hours.

how would he have weeks of vacation?

-tvu said...

Assume he has zero vacation hours in year 2006. He gets 7 hours per month, therefore he gets 84 (7 hr x12 months) vacation hours per year. He used 5 days. Americans work 8 hours per day, (5x8) thus he used up 40 hours. He has 44 remaining (84-40)hours transfered to year 2007. January through September, he earns 63 hrs(7x9). 63+44=107 vacation hours before he goes vacation in October. Question ask for vacation in weeks. Americans work 40 hours per week, thus he earns 2 weeks, 3 days and 3 hours, by October.

One of the reasons why I want to work in Europe postMBA, the 5/6 weeks of vacation. hehe...

kpmg said...

oh my. is that how they calculate vacation? over here you get 1 day vacation, doesn't matter whether you work a 3 hour day or a 12 hour day, 1 day = 1 day...

so I was wondering, since he got 84 hours, i calculated it as 24 hours = 1 day = 1 day vacation...

heh. well, guess I learnt how americans calculate their vacation time now.

-tvu said...

It's the small cultural difference that fascinate me and thus why I want to experience/live internationally for a while.

Unknown said...

Hi! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I genuinely enjoy reading your blog posts. Can you recommend any other https://thestorylive.in/motivational/how-to-stay-positive-in-this-lockdown-period-how-worried-you-need-to-be/ blogs that go over the same topics? Thanks a ton!