Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The importance of Alumni contacts

It's late and I've just finished a phone interview with an Alumnus from another B-school from Europe. Yes. He did have very insightful information that was not contained in the brochures and definitely not on the website.

I am going to have to reconsider these B-schools. All have compelling facts and inside dirt. What to do, what to do...

***Additional editor note***
I'm still very much in love w/ the schools I'm applying for. Now my view of them has more dept.

Was emailed; "You mentioned something about the discussion with an alumni on the blog. Compelling facts and inside dirt, could you extrapolate on that just a little bit"

Here's my response;

Compelling fact ref. to what they did during their MBA. What was unique to their experiences. Mainly to match up w/ what is important to me. Possibly something I have not figured into my equation and thus shed light into something I have considered.

Tip; Gather as much information and then gather some more. Knowledge is key. I prefer to research thoroughly, then weigh all options, and then make a decision. I don't want to have any regrets once I've finalized my choice. Considering the importance of the MBA, the amount of $$ I am pouring into it, and it will be a life changing decision, I definitely want all options placed on the table. This is not a situation for a hasty choice.

Good luck w/ your research and may the force be with you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agree with you that alumni are a valuable source of information --- as are blogs of current MBA students! =)

Juggler said...

hmmm you have to put up with some amt of dirt anywhere i guess

Hobbes said...

Alum n current students are a gr8 source for inside info (and dirt). But before u decide not to app somewhere, see if u can get a second opinion on the issue bothering u the most. Diff ppl have diff exp dealing with the same project/work/club etc.

BOL!

-tvu said...

Juggler and Hobbes - I must clearify. Getting the inside dirt is good. In life, we have to see both faces of the journey. I get skeptical when something present only the good side, i.e brochure/website. I'm still very much in love w/ the schools I'm applying for. Now, I get the full picture.